Yoga has long been recognized for its numerous health benefits, backed by scientific research. With its holistic approach to healthcare, yoga offers a means of improving both physical and mental well-being, particularly for those who cannot engage in rigorous training.
On International Yoga Day, observed on June 21 each year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi hosts a special event to showcase the transformative effects of yoga on our daily lives. One area where yoga shines is in its positive impact on gastrointestinal problems. Individuals with digestive disorders can practice specific asanas (postures) to enhance digestion.
Gastrointestinal issues not only contribute to non-communicable diseases such as hypertension and diabetes but can also give rise to mental health concerns like depression, anxiety, stress, and impaired central nervous system functioning.
Dr. Rajeev Rajesh, Chief Yoga Officer at Jindal Naturecure Institute, explains how yoga can improve digestion and shares some of the best asanas to boost metabolism.
According to Dr. Rajesh, stress can exacerbate common digestive problems like indigestion, bloating, and constipation. Yoga incorporates deep breathing exercises, meditation, and relaxation techniques, which help lower stress levels. When the body is in a calm state, it can better digest and absorb nutrients from food.
Certain yoga postures encourage blood flow to the abdomen, thereby improving digestion. Adequate blood circulation ensures that the digestive organs receive essential nutrients and oxygen, optimizing their performance.
Dr. Rajesh highlights that various yoga asanas, including twisting, bending, and stretching, stimulate the digestive organs. These movements act as a massage for the organs, enhancing their functionality and aiding in the removal of toxins.
Here are some asanas recommended by Dr. Rajesh to promote digestion:
- Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): This posture stimulates the digestive system, stretches the abdominal muscles, and enhances metabolism and digestion.
- Pavanamuktasana (Wind-Relieving Pose): This asana promotes digestion and relieves gas and bloating by massaging the abdominal organs.
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose): This posture improves metabolism, stimulates the digestive system, and strengthens the abdominal muscles.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist): This twisting position improves digestion by massaging the digestive organs and increasing blood flow.
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend): This asana improves digestion, stimulates the abdominal organs, and eases constipation.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): This series of yoga poses stimulates the metabolism, supports overall wellness, and aids the digestive system.
By incorporating these asanas into their practice, individuals can harness the power of yoga to improve their digestion and promote gut health.